November 9, 2011

My Impressions, After FINALLY, Making The Jump To Windows 7

Ok, so over the past week, I finally did it.  I backed up all my stuff, said goodbye to my XP only programs and beloved operating system, formatted my HDD, and installed Windows 7.  It was some touch and go getting everything backed up, but when it came down to the actual install of 7
, holy crap it was SO fucking easy.

I haven't had something install that easy ever for a major OS, whether it was Mac, Linux, or XP.  Less then 15 mintues, and my Windows 7 was installed, still had to do drivers and updates sure, but it was working!

My first impression of Windows 7.

1. Goddamn, this installed fast.
2. Oh, this looks um, different.
3. Ohhh, it's so snappy and fast.
4. Goddamnit where is this *insert some random tweak thing here that I can't locate right away*
5. Google is my friend *hugs Google*
6. This will definitely require some getting used to and some tweaking.

Now, I'm not using it stock, nope, I tweaked it up.  I removed grouping completely with 7 Taskbar Tweaker, I brought back the quick launch bar, and I make it so my windows display in the taskbar.  This is how I like my Windows, this is how I'm productive with it.  It DOESN'T need to change, not for me.  I'll be satiated if it's always a viable way to work and they allow me to have the option.

I'm still getting around to reinstalling programs and having to find new ones to replace the XP only ones.  I was on XP for like 7 years so this is a huge thing for me.

I like the OS now that I've tweaked it to my standards and looks.  There are some things to nitpick but eh, overall this has been a pleasant experience for me.

I'll be testing out the built-in features of 7 like the disk defrag, backup, disk cleaner, etc. just to see if there is a reason to hunt out programs to improve productivity or make things easier or just work better.

I'm still running on an out of date machine, but at least my OS is up to date.

2 comments:

Webbstre said...

Windows 7 rules. I have no plans to move to Windows 8 when it comes out. It looks... too different :P

Superawesomeman589 said...

I will not be touching Windows 8. I'm tired of this whole push towards mobile. Desktops are not mobile, it's time to stop this crap. Desktop gamers do not want mobile devices. Mobile gaming is great and all when on vacation or traveling but not a full time thing when in home.